Baltimore Catechism, Lesson 17: Honoring the Saints, Relics & Images
Here on the next lesson of the Baltimore Catechism presented by the Ecu-Men, we expand on the First Commandment as we talk about Honoring the Saints, Relics, & Images. We have many people who have come before us as examples for good behavior; and we have blessed objects from God which He has made good. There is a lot here on this interesting topic to cover. Thanks for listening!
214. Does the first commandment forbid us to honor the saints in heaven?
The first commandment does not forbid us to honor the saints in heaven, provided we do not give them the honor that belongs to God alone. (Luke 1:48)
215. Why do we honor the saints in heaven?
Because they practiced great virtue when they were on earth, and because in honoring those who are the chosen friends of God we honor God Himself.
216. How can we honor the saints?
We can honor the saints: first, by imitating their holy lives; second, by praying to them; third, by showing respect to their relics and images. (Philippians 3:17)
217. When we pray to the saints what do we ask them to do?
When we pray to the saints we ask them to offer their prayers to God for us.
218. How do we know that the saints will pray for us?
We know that the saints will pray for us because they are with God and have great love for us.
219. Why do we honor relics?
We honor relics because they are the bodies of the saints or objects connected with the saints or with Our Lord.
220. When does the first commandment forbid the making or the use of statues and pictures?
The first commandment forbids the making or the use of statues and pictures only when they promote false worship. (Exodus 20:3-4)
221. Is it right to show respect to the statues and pictures of Christ and of the saints?
It is right to show respect to the statues and pictures of Christ and of the saints, just as it is right to show respect to the images of those whom we honor or love on earth.
222. Do we honor Christ and the saints when we pray before the crucifix, relics, and sacred images?
We honor Christ and the saints when we pray before the crucifix, relics, and sacred images because we honor the persons they represent; we adore Christ and venerate the saints.
223. Do we pray to the crucifix or to the images and relics of the saints?
We do not pray to the crucifix or to the images and relics of the saints, but to the persons they represent.
Baltimore Catechism, Lesson 17:
John the Baptist & Only the Violent Conquer Heaven:
The Church Militant:
Bones of Elisha:
Bathsheeba & Solomon:
Statues in Temple:
Moses & Bronze Serpent:
Hail Mary in Bible:
Council of Ephesus:
The Rosary Mediations: